We climb from Calci through the idyllic village of Montemagno to the Prato a Giovo. Once up there, we follow the ridgeline south and later westwards, until we reach the Monte Verruca, where we shall try to inspect the medieval fortifications.
After a lunch break, we descend the mountains towards Caprona, passing the tower dominating it, and finally return to Calci alongside a small river.
- Sat June 7, 2014
- Meeting points and times
- At 8:00 CEST Palazzo d'Ancona for breakfast
- At 8:30 CEST at the bus stop at Porta Lucca
- Hopefully a bit cloudy in the morning, but it will get hot.
- Estimated distance
- 12-15 km
- Estimated duration
- 4-6 hours hiking (but probably only 2 hours uphill)
- Drink: at least 1.5 litres of water
- Food: fruits and small snacks for reenergising
- Food: something for the picknick at lunch time.
- Shoes: Hiking boots, or running shoes. Or any other shoes with good traction and sufficiently thick soles.
- Clothes: Long trousers, the path is partially rather well covered with foliage also of the prickly sort. A hat, if you have one.
- Other: Suncream